Tulane Medical Center
I. Position Summary:
Manages the day-to-day operations of the Health Information Management and PBX-Patient Advocacy Departments. Oversees the PBX function. Acts as Patient Advocate and serves as Risk Management Liaison to Tulane University Hospital and Clinic's Risk Management Department. Plans, assigns and adjusts workflow and staffing as required. Compiles and reports department statistics and performance improvement activities. Responsible for implementing hospital goals within the area supervised. Accountable for financial performance and service quality within the overall guidelines set by the Department Director.Primary Job Duties: (Minimum qualifications for the position)
1. Oversees and directly supervises all department areas and staff, including interviewing, coaching, counseling, orientation, training and evaluation within established guidelines.
2. Ensures adequate staff coverage for assigned department areas according to established budget.
3. Monitors the day-to-day operations of assigned department staff, reacting effectively and efficiently to unplanned circumstances, demands and challenges facing the department to ensure consistent quality of service.
4. Demonstrates expertise in hospital and department processes and keeps staff updated by remaining current with hospital and department guidelines, federal, state, regulatory & other governing policies, procedures or guidelines.
5. Coordinates the departmental staff performance and improvement process including the preparation, analysis and submission of required reports.
6. Updates and improves the department processes and workflow.Participates as requested on teams, committees, and special projects both internal and external relating to Dept & Hospital Services
Position RequirementsA. Licensure/Certification/Registration: Credentialed as a Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) by the American Health Information Management Association, or equivalent designation required or obtained within two (2) years.B. Education: Baccalaureate degree in Health Information Management or related field highly desirable.C. Experience: 5 years management experience in the medical record/health information department of an acute care and psychiatric hospital required, preferably a teaching hospital with ambulatory clinics, highly desirable.D. Special qualifications: Must be able to successfully complete established competencies for the position. Knowledge of personal computers and ability to work with common software programs for word processing and spreadsheets. Knowledge of applicable laws, regulations, and accreditation standards governing health information management and release of information. Excellent organizational skills. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to work effectively with clinic staff including physicians and nurses. Ability to work under pressure and handle multiple tasks with time constraints. Strong management/HR skills.E. Hours of work: Day shift position with on call responsibility for 24/7 operation.